We’re hiring a Director of Development
Starting salary: $73,000
Position: Full Time
Deadline: Priority consideration is given to applications received by March 13, 2023.
Enlace Latino NC seeks a Director of Development to join our North Carolina-based, Spanish-language newsroom. As we enter our 5th year in operation and become an independent 501(c)(3) organization, we are at a critical stage of growth that requires an ambitious fundraising leader with a history of developing and implementing successful revenue strategies.
Over the last three years, Enlace Latino NC has nearly tripled its budget and is ambitious about growing to $2 million. To meet this goal, we received a transformative multi-year grant from the American Journalism Project to support our business operations and strengthen our ability to reach new audiences and cover critical issues impacting immigrant communities in North Carolina.
In this next phase of our organizational growth, we are focusing on fine-tuning our administrative and business operations and strengthening our editorial and organizational strategies. In this context, we seek a Director of Development who can develop and implement an ambitious revenue strategy and bring the story of Enlace Latino NC’s value and impact to life for existing and prospective stakeholders.
You’re an ideal candidate if you have some fundraising experience in either immigrant-serving media and/or non-profit or grassroots organizations, thrive in a startup environment, are comfortable developing systems and processes, are excited about bringing big ideas to the table, and are an outstanding communicator. We seek candidates who are energetic about advocating for underrepresented communities' access to information and feel invested in our mission to equip immigrants with the information they need to become more involved in changes that affect them.
This is a full-time position.
About this position
- Develop and implement Enlace Latino NC’s comprehensive fundraising strategy
- Establish contributed income goals for the fiscal year, create strategic plan to meet budgeted goals, and manage department expense budget
- Maintain a portfolio of major donors and prospects, with responsibility for personally making donor solicitations and creating a strategy to target individuals with capacity and interest from a variety of sectors
- Engage with national, regional, North Carolina-based foundations; maintain and expand a portfolio of additional foundation/grant prospects
- Write and submit grant applications and reports
- Write and send communication materials and collateral that update our audience and funders on Enlace Latino NC’s work and impact
- Orient and engage present and new Board members on the development strategy
- Present clear, cogent reports and analyses to senior management and the Board of Directors on projected revenue vs. actuals
- Create and staff gatherings for donors, foundations, and corporate partners
- Oversee fundraising special events
- Actively participate as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, influencing and driving strategy to accomplish goals
- Co-develop and manage the organization’s impact tracking efforts
- Provide training, support, and guidance to staff to ensure that best practices are utilized to achieve financial goals
- Hire, train, and mentor Development Assistant, and manage consultants that support revenue strategy
Qualifications & Skills
- Strong preference for Bilingual (Spanish-English) and Bicultural candidates
- 5+ years of experience developing and executing fundraising strategies that meet organizational revenue goals
- Superior organizational skills, exceptional attention to detail, and ability to complete tasks in a systematic manner
- Excellent relationship management, communication, and interpersonal skills, and established writing skills
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as within a collaborative environment, and with diverse internal and external partners
- Flexibility and the ability to prioritize assignments to meet deadlines
- Experience working in immigrant-serving independent media and/or non-profit and grassroots organizations is a plus
- Familiarity with North Carolina’s philanthropic ecosystem is a plus
- Open to learning, iterating, and growing with the organization as it evolves
If you feel you do not meet all of these requirements, but feel excited about this position and think you are a good fit, we encourage you to apply. We strongly encourage applications from immigrants, Latinxs, and Indigenous candidates, people of color, women, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, and LGBTQIA+ individuals.
Compensation & Values
The Director of Development is a full-time position with a salary of $73,000. Enlace Latino NC provides a benefits package that includes: medical insurance; paid time off (20 vacation days, in addition to the week between Christmas and New Year’s Eve off).
We are a diverse team of mostly first-generation immigrants who speak Spanish as a primary language. We have team members who are outside of the U.S. (in Latin America), which makes our work dynamic and fun. As an organization, Enlace Latino NC defends democracy and access to information for immigrants and people of color. We are passionate about serving underrepresented communities and setting the precedent for how local media can better meet their needs.
Remote, with strong preference for candidates in North Carolina (particularly the Triangle Region). If remote, the candidate should be able to travel to Raleigh at least 5 times a year and as needed.
About Enlace Latino NC
Enlace Latino NC is North Carolina’s first, Spanish-language nonprofit digital news organization. Our mission is to empower the diverse community of Latinx immigrants in North Carolina to become more involved in the social, political, and economic changes that affect them. To date, our efforts have positioned us as a reliable political compass and information bridge for North Carolina’s growing community of Latinx immigrants and the non-profit and grassroots organizations that promote their active engagement in our democracy and civic life.
Enlace Latino NC covers North Carolina local and federal politics, immigration policy, community affairs, and other news in Spanish via our website, four newsletters, a WhatsApp distribution list, a podcast, and social media.